Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Update 6: The End

My genius project is pretty much at an end...I won't consider it "over" until everyone has presented, but I've already given my TEDtalk.

I was super nervous going into it, and I'm not really sure why. Well I know why. I'm a nervous wreck - I get nervous about everything. But I knew I was prepared and I really liked my script going into it, but I think that might have made it worse. I set high expectations for myself and then scared myself into thinking I wouldn't be able to meet them.

I'm not entirely pleased with how it went. I messed up a few times, but for the most part, I felt like I was on autopilot. I was about two thirds of the way done my script, and it felt like I had only been talking for ten seconds. The feedback from my friends was nice, but I've felt confident about other projects before...and the grades have fallen flat.

Anyway, I'm really stressed out right now because of other schoolwork, and I think I'm just making it worse by dwelling on this. I am pleased with how my project turned out, and it's been good motivation for me to continue learning Chinese. After my grandparents return to China, I hope to keep up communication with them in a language they actually understand. I've also really enjoyed watching other people progress through the weeks. Some people have made extraordinary progress, and I'm so so so proud of them :)

If you've kept up with my monstrosity of a blog, thank you so much. Good luck to anyone who's presenting in the next few days, and congrats to those who've finished!

- Jess

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! Your project seemed to go really well (even though I didn't get to read all of your posts and its kind of hard for you to document everything that you have learned). Your presentation was also amazing (as always), but I understand the feeling of going into autopilot. I remember last year I went into auto pilot during the inventor project and accidentally snapped out of it in the middle of my presentation, which made me forget where in my scrip I was and I started freaking out. Its great that you are able to now keep in touch with you grandparents though! I can't imagine not being able to speak with my grandparents unless it is through a call where we could speak until I learned to write in their language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Jess! I know what I say may just be "feedback from friends," but you really did a good job. Though you say you went on autopilot (which I can understand and relate to), it didn't seem to affect your presentation in any way. It's also great how the end result of your project has such an important application to you (contrastingly, stuff like piano improvisation isn't quite as applicable as learning a language). (Again,) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I really wish I saw your presentation--although I know you must have rocked it. Right now I'm in Vegas for robotics and there are Chinese teams. I want to talk to them, but I feel like my speaking and listening skills aren't good enough. This made me how important your project is, and I hope you continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess your project managed to capture exactly what a Gifted presentation is. The energy, the message, the big circle ending that manages to blow the minds of your audience. You executed the presentation well, and you've done so well with the actual genius project aspect of the project. Good job!

    ReplyDelete