Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Update 0: 大家好!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jess, and this blog is meant to document a six-week process through which I teach myself 300 Chinese characters - and, no, I don't regret this. Yet.
got Chinese?

For those of you who don't know, I am Chinese. Luckily, I already have some background "native" knowledge in the language, which gives me an advantage over completely unfamiliar learners. That being said, I don't need to start at the most basic of building blocks - simple words like 大,小,火, 上,etc. These building blocks are useful, though. This is the theory the theory of one Chinese-learning website, Chineasy.

Building Blocks + Pictorials
Chineasy begins its Chinese lessons starting with its building blocks. These are simple characters that often appear in other characters. For example, this is the character for fire (huǒ)
Building block for "fire" from Chineasy
And here is the character for flames (yàn). As you can see, it's a bunch of little "fires" stacked on top of each other.
"Flames" from Chineasy
This makes it a little easier to learn some Chinese characters, but the visual cues can only tell you so much. If I didn't know the word above was "flames", I could guess that it was related to fire. Beyond that, I wouldn't be able to say. In English, the Latin alphabet gives speakers an advantage. The word "antidisestablishmentarianism" is a mouthful. But if speakers dissect the prefixes and suffixes, they know that it has to do with getting rid of something. Therefore, Chinese learners need to use rote memorization to learn most of their characters.

Motivation
So, we've established that reading and writing Chinese is a bit of a challenge. And I already know how to speak and understand the language so...why learn more? The truth is, I've always felt a little estranged from my family members. Growing up in America has forced me to reconcile two cultures that are sometimes completely incompatible - even the littlest things remind me that I'm not quite American. When I go over to a friend's house for dinner, I stop and consider whether I should take off my shoes, and then I eat a meal without a bowl of rice. Despite this, I speak English better than Chinese; I use a fork more often than chopsticks; and I dress in American clothing. As all my relatives in China say, I'm American - but not quite. Learning how to read and write Chinese will hopefully bring me closer to my family and culture. After all, I'd like to actually write a birthday card to my grandparents, or read a menu in Chinatown every now and then.

Measuring Achievement & Resources
Each week, my blog post will feature a different post about an aspect of the Chinese language:
  • Week 1: Building blocks
  • Week 2: Radicals
  • Week 3: Simplified/Traditional
  • Week 4: Pinyin & Tones
  • Week 5: Dialects
  • Week 6: None
Scallion pancakes (葱油饼) - yum!
Along with these bits of information, I will also be documenting my progress. These are the progress sheets I plan on using to practice writing. I'll scan a few of the sheets each week and upload them for you to see. Additionally, I plan on writing a few sentences to actually apply my knowledge (those will be uploaded too). I don't have specific goals regarding the characters, as they are difficult to divide into different "levels". Some are more complex to write than others, but they all correspond to certain words, and it takes the same amount of effort to learn and memorize them. As far as the sentences, I will only be looking into grammatical structure minimally, given that I already speak the language. I just hope that the sentences I write will eventually become more detailed/precise as I learn more words. My plan is to work up to the final product: a written recipe for scallion pancakes (and my TEDtalk may also feature the actual dish...). I'm also grateful for my family - I'm surrounded by native speakers who are probably more excited than I am that I'm finally taking the time to learn some Chinese.

Goal
When this project is over, I will have learned 300 Chinese characters. Additionally, I hope to write a recipe for scallion pancakes, or 葱油饼. But, most importantly, I will have a deeper connection to my family and culture. According to some, learning Chinese is a lifelong effort - the BBC estimates that the average Chinese person will know around 8,000 characters, and one needs 2,000 to 3,000 to read a newspaper article. Hopefully, this beginning will motivate me to continue my pursuit later.


I already have this week's practice worksheets printed out. Now I'm off to practice and do English homework!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resources




10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm really looking forward to hearing your Chinese (and perhaps learning some new words from you)! I have actually have a brilliant idea...how about I cook Chinese and you speak Chinese? Oh--and here's another brilliant idea: How about during the summer you travel to China to test your Chinese speaking abilities?

    P.S. I see how it is with "antidisestablishmentarianism." How about this one: Sesquipedalianism...#apeuro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! You can bring me Chinese when I'm done with my TEDtalk :) Here's another word for you: defenstrate

      Delete
  2. Jess, this looks really great, and I am very excited to see your final result/TED Talk! How did you decide the 300 terms you will learn? Are they just the first 300 on chineasy? I liked the little bit you included about how the character for flames is just multiple characters for fire. Are there any other logical characters that could be learned with this formula? Also, scallion pancakes are one of my favorite Chinese dishes! Would you be able to make me a copy of the recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, my son!! First I found the practice worksheets I linked above, and those practice sheets already have characters on them. So I'm just beginning at the beginning and continuing until I reach 300. I know it's not very "scientific", but, like I said, Chinese is a vast language. I think learners just have to pick a place and start. And the visual structure of Chinese characters is sometimes decipherable (I'll include some more examples) in my next post, but oftentimes you just have to memorize it. And I'll be sure to give out copies of the recipe at my presentation (I might even bring some of the actual dish in).

      Delete
  3. 好好学习,天天上!
    AKA "Good good study, sky sky up"
    ^reason #323328432809 why Chinese is difficult: translations don't make sense
    Coming from someone who spent 10 years' worth of Sundays at Chinese school and managed to retain 0.5% of everything that was taught, I wish you the best of luck, although I'm sure you won't need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! If you want to talk about untranslatable, try explaining the Chinese word for "no".

      Delete
  4. You're probably going to learn more Chinese in the next couple weeks than I've learned in 10 years of Saturdays. Quick suggestion: maybe you could find a penpal to practice with? I know you have your family, but that's mostly speaking right? And you already have that down. Since you what you really need is to practice writing, why don't you write to someone? I know some people that could use some practicing with English as well, so if you want someone to write to you know who to ask :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait..you went to Chinese school on Saturdays? I thought everyone suffered on Sundays! A penpal would be a great idea, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with someone. I've thought about continuing this project (on my own time) by writing emails to my grandparents, once they return to China. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  5. Jess, I was a bit alarmed by the scale of your project when you said you would be learning Mandarin. After all, Mandarin is one of the hardest languages to learn. However, after seeing your blog, you seem to be making great progress. I also know your level of work ethic and I doubt you will procrastinate or take the challenge lightly. You seem to have a well-made plan nd I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words :) Mandarin is really tough, and, like all languages, is a lifelong pursuit. That doesn't discourage me, though. I think learning languages is both fun and eye-opening, and I have no complaints about learning for the rest of my life!

      Delete