Monday, February 16, 2015

Update 1: Let's Get Down to Business

The Formalities
In my last post, I gave you a preview of which topics I'd discuss each week, but I'd like to change that. The new schedule is below:
  • Week 1: Building blocks
  • Week 2: Stroke order
  • Week 3: Radicals
  • Week 4: Simplified/Traditional
  • Week 5: Pinyin
  • Week 6: Dialects
Getting Started
If you know me in real life, you may understand that I am...quite the organizer. Ever since I witnessed Pepper Potts in the Iron Man movies, I told myself I could be a personal assistant, if all else failed. Anyway, I knew I would need plenty of papers and flash cards for this project, so I dedicated a folder to it. It's my baby, and it's beautiful. You can see it below. In the upper left is my progress tracker. Every day I work on my project, I color in a progress bar. (I'm very extrinsically motivated - it was either this, or stickers.) Then, on the right, I have my flashcards binder-clipped to the folder. In this first week, the binder clip was already straining, so I'm going to have to swap this out every week. On the lower left is my little calendar. I've planned out when I need to finish each set of 50 characters, as well as when I'm going to start working on my TEDtalk. Also, I cross off each day we get closer to the final product. Then, on the lower right is one of my favorite motivational quotes. I can't honestly justify the amount of time I spent making it, but it makes me happy every time I open the folder.

Let's Get Down to Business...
1/7 practice sheets from this week

I had a pretty straightforward process for learning the first fifty characters. First, I would write out the phonetic spelling of each character (also known as pinyin, which I'll be covering later), complete with the tones (also coming later). Because I know how to speak Chinese, this was my way of "translating". I was associating the written words with the spoken words I already knew. Then, I would practice writing the actual character. As you can see in the practice sheets, there are multiple spaces, where I would repeat the character over and over again. I realized halfway through that perhaps those spaces were for stroke order - which leads me to the topic of the week.

Stroke Order
I mentioned in last week's post that Chinese was a pictorial language. Each character is, in simplest terms, a picture. Let's look at a picture of a house, shall we?
To draw this house, one could go about it many ways. You could start with the basic outline and then fill in the details. Or you could draw the doors and windows first and then add the outline. You could draw from the ground up, or the sky down. If you wanted to start on the right side and continue to the left, or vice versa, you could. This house is a picture, and Chinese is made up of pictures. Like you could draw a house different ways, you could write Chinese characters different ways, right? No. (Why would Chinese ever be that easy? Silly reader.)

Like a house is made of straight lines, diagonal lines, curves, and dots, Chinese characters are made of different strokes. There are many different types of strokes, but here are the basics:

These are essentially the basic components that structure each character. These strokes have to be written in a certain direction (as the chart shows). For example, let's say you wanted to write a héng, a horizontal stroke. You can only write this stroke from left to right, never right to left. Building on this idea, each Chinese character is written with the strokes in a specific order. Again, these can never be written in a different order. In the end, you could produce the same result, if you used a different order. But a standard stroke order is actually more conducive to memorizing characters and also produces a certain aesthetic look. The rules for stroke order are as follows:

  1. Top to bottom: components on the top are written before components on the bottom. 
  2. Left to right: left-most components are written before components on the right.
  3. Horizontal before vertical: some characters are separated or "crossed" with horizontal or diagonal strokes. These horizontal strokes are written before vertical ones. 
  4. Diagonals right-to-left before diagonals left-to-right: it was pretty simple before this one, right? Don't worry, it's a lot simpler in visual form. The character 人 (person) is written with two diagonal strokes. Both start at the top, in the center. One goes to the left, and the other goes to the right. The right-to-left diagonal stroke comes before the left-to-right.
  5. Outside before inside: some characters include components enclosed in others. The strokes on the outside go before the ones on the inside.
  6. Inside before bottom enclosing: an extension of the previous rule. If a component is enclosed in a character, it's written before the final enclosing stroke. 
  7. Center verticals before outside "wings": some characters have outside "wings" that flank a center vertical stroke. These are written last. 
  8. Cutting strokes last: some characters may have a vertical stroke that "cuts" through other components. these are written last. 
  9. Left vertical before enclosing: again, with enclosing characters, the leftmost vertical stroke is written first. 
  10. Top/upper-left dots first: pretty self-explanatory
  11. Inside/upper-right dots last: pretty self-explanatory

Examples of the rules
Back to Business
Returning back to my actual process of learning, I remembered most of these stroke order rules from my early days in hell Chinese school. In the instance that I didn't remember, the website chinese-tools was helpful in providing stroke order. Additionally, the website also has English-Chinese translations and vice versa. Finally, although every language teacher is clutching their chest in pain, Google Translate was also pretty helpful. The app on my phone has an option where I can just write the character - a much simpler method than googling pinyin or switching between various keyboards on my phone/computer.

I also promised that I would write a few practice sentences in Chinese, and here they are! Translations:

  1. How are you?
  2. I am her mother.
  3. My brother's teacher is very good.
  4. Our guests drink tea.
  5. My father's Chinese book is mine.
  6. Little brother is not an adult.
  7. Thank you all.
  8. He is looking at the map.

I was surprised with how much I could actually write. I take German at school, and it took me years to construct sentences like #3 or #5. As I was writing these, I was reminded of both the complexity and simplicity of Chinese. You may notice that I repeat a certain character in many of these sentences - 的(de). In English, one could translate this to "of". Interestingly, Chinese has no possessive case. In English, we can "my teacher's book" or "Julia's house". A literal translation of the same phrase in Chinese would be "teacher of book" or "Julia of house". This construction is called genitive case (and it's used a lot in German, less so in English). Although it may seem strange to English speakers, use of "de" for genitive in Chinese makes writing easiser. I didn't learn genitive case until two years into German. Another interesting thing to note: the spoken word "ta" in Chinese means both "he" and "she". However, the written word distinguishes between the two. This is why some Chinese speakers confuse "he" and "she"! (Also, as I learn Chinese, I lament more and more the lack of 2nd person plural in English. It seems common in other languages, so what happened to English?) The last thing I wanted to address was the specifics of familial terms. If you look at sentences #3 and #6, I refer to a "brother" in both. However, I used completely different words. In Chinese, one distinguishes between an older brother (哥哥) and a younger brother (弟弟). This applies to sisters, as well. In fact, Chinese has so many different terms for family members - we distinguish between older/younger and paternal/maternal.

I'm sorry this post got so long. It seems I have a habit of writing long blog posts. Last year, I would reward readers with cat gifs for sticking through long posts...maybe I should continue the tradition? (This is a vine, not a gif, but it's worth it)


- Jess

Resources

14 comments:

  1. Ok this is the third time I am writing this comment due to technical difficulties, (and I deleted the last one because this showed up twice and I just don't understand anymore ) but I think the stroke order is the one thing I will never understand. It reminds me of how Kasey Sensei (all the way back in 6th grade) told us that the Japanese students would laugh at the way he drew the characters in a different order. I guess it is the same in Chinese and I can see the order's importance when you are using a brush or a pen with varying thicknesses depending on pressure. Maybe you could try that to practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost considered learning calligraphy before just deciding on the characters. It's a huge challenge, probably even more so writing in Chinese!

      Delete
  2. As I know you commended me with sticking to piano playing, I'd like to commend you on staying committed to Chinese. From what you've talked about (and what I've heard from others), Chinese school really isn't that great of a place. I never had to go to Chinese school - but I did take basic Chinese lessons for a few years. Chinese unfortunately never stuck for me (though oddly enough, I take Japanese in school, which has some of the same characters w/ different pronunciations), so I always am impressed by anyone who can speak, write, read, understand Chinese. Just curious - I see you have planned out your goals, and your character lists for the week are dictated by the sheets - are there specific characters you plan to study in preparation for writing the recipe? (Or are you just building a general repertoire of characters now, not necessarily ones that will be used in the recipe).
    I did enjoy the cat gif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered the fact that, by the end of my 300 characters, I still might not know the specifics for the recipe. In that case, I'll have to teach myself those. I decided I would just follow the characters as dictated by sheets because I found it easier for someone else to choose which characters. I mentioned in my last post that, to learn Chinese, you kind of just have to pick a place and start. The sheets took some of the more difficult decisions away from me.

      Delete
  3. Wowwwww, you've definitely put in the time and effort to improve your Chinese! I love your organizer/folder (how long did it take you to make it?) and the cat gif, of course. Out of all of the words you practiced writing, which one do you think is the hardest and/or easiest to write? And more importantly, when are you making scallion pancakes?

    If you are interested trying out Chinese calligraphy, I have some materials you may need (brushes, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's...not talk about how long I spent on the folder...I still remember some words from my childhood, so those are definitely the easiest. Some Chinese characters (even if they're simple words) are so complicated, so those are definitely the hardest to write. (Example: hē is "to drink" - simple word, but it's written 喝). And the scallion pancakes are coming...soon...

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adore your folder/baby!! It is literally one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen :) It's so great that you're learning chinese again! I remember seeing you at chinese school once, and then you never came back.... although I would totally agree that chinese is really complicated, it's worth it. Keep up the good work! (also, in the picture with the practice sentences, I think you amalgamated "you" and "door"...) That cat is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you - I'm a proud mother :) Which sentence are you talking about?

      Delete
    2. Jess: Sentence 7, "you" has an extra shu and dian

      Delete
    3. I see it now. Thanks, Catelyn!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh you're so organized! It'll definitely help you with something like learning Chinese, as it relies mostly on rote memorization and can get a bit messy. It's also great that you spent the time to thoroughly learn the basics of stroke order, which I never really cared about (and am chastised about at home whenever I write stuff out because my "笔画很糟"). Kudos to you for really learning this, I honestly could never do so!

    Also, your grammar looks pretty good in your sentences! There are a few changes I'd make though (they're not huge, but they'll make a difference):
    Sentence 3: I might say "我的哥哥的老师很好,“ without the “是。” Sometimes it's acceptable to put that “是” in, but you'd only do so if you wanted to add emphasis, like saying "My brother's teacher IS really good" in italics and whatnot. Chinese is sooooo hard to learn because of these weird grammatical rules, where you're literally saying "My of brother of teacher very good."
    Also, in sentence 7, I think it's more "Chinese" to say "谢谢大家“ instead of ”谢谢你们.“ I don't know why, it's one of those weird idiomatic things that us "外国人" will always struggle with. *Sigh*

    Anyway, keep up the good work! I know you'll make tons of progress quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! It felt weird to actually write the Chinese, instead of speaking it for once. Most of the stroke order I remembered kind of instinctively from when I was younger. It's funny how long stuff like that can stick.

      Delete
  6. Wow. This is really interesting, I take Spanish in school so I will never be able to appreciate having to write in a completely different alphabet. I still don't understand the concept of brush strokes. I just cant understand why you would have to do something a different way if you would get the same end result. I was also really interested that "ta" was gender neutral (maybe the rest of the world could catch on). Are there gender specific pronouns or is ta the only one? I really like your folder and envy your organization skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! The stroke order is something a lot of people struggle with, but it actually is a lot more useful for memorizing the words than just doing any random order. And I would love to see an introduction of gender-neutral pronouns in English :)

      Delete